Saratoga Springs Democratic Party
Protect Democracy in Local Government
- Principled leadership including ethical, accountable, professional conduct by public officials and employees.
- Open accessible government with inclusive, transparent policy debate and decision-making processes.
- Continuous, effective public outreach to inform and encourage public engagement in a timely fashion to allow for responsive debate, consideration and action.
- Government that respects foundational democratic principles.
- Weighing all public input in setting policies and practices, always placing interests of the city and residents over personal or political gain.
- Fair and equitable administration of local, state and federal laws as well as city administrative policies.
- Adherence to core Democratic Party principles including non-discriminatory practices and equal opportunity for all in employment, wages, public policies and social services; fair and equitable government contracts; support of labor and collective bargaining.
- Support of equal rights protections for all, with no discrimination based on gender, sexual orientation, gender identity (LGBTQ), race, religion, disability, age or immigration status; support and promotion of policies that align with state laws that address discrimination, and other anti-hate initiatives.
- Support of women’s issues including reproductive choice and full access to health care services, and policies that ensure a woman’s economic equity and financial security.
- Policies and initiatives to improve overall quality of life for vulnerable populations, including opportunities for stable employment, housing and nutrition.
Safeguard our “City in the Country” Protecting Open Spaces and Environment
- Adherence to the Comprehensive Plan to protect the “greenbelt” long into the future.
- Stewardship of our natural resources, adopting sustainable policies and practices to broaden the benefits of clean and efficient energy.
- Responsible allocation of fiscal resources to protect and preserve natural resources and promote use and enjoyment of public spaces.
- Protection of quality of life associated with Saratoga Springs, including walkable/bikeable streets, parks and recreational trail systems, as envisioned in Complete Streets, Greenbelt Trail and Urban Forest policies.
- Support of clean, sustainable energy policies and waste-reducing practices, including energy efficiency in public buildings and Saratoga Springs commitment to We Are Still In national consortium for adherence to Paris Climate Agreement.
Preserve and Enhance Public Health and Safety
- Planning to ensure emergency preparedness and swift emergency response equally across city neighborhoods.
- Responsive, unbiased law enforcement and protection representative of democratic principles of equality, respect and diversity.
- Proactive support of best practices for common-sense gun safety policies and practices.
- Reliable access to clean public drinking water.
Promote Economic Opportunity for All
- Support for quality education in preparation for 21stcentury employment.
- Advocate for fair, available housing for all income levels.
- Support needs of local business and protecting the attraction and benefits of a vibrant downtown.
- Promotion ofSaratoga Springs as a tourist destination for arts, recreation, health, history and horses.
- Leverage our creative economic sector, supporting the Upstate Alliance for the Creative Economy.
Maintain and Upgrade Physical and Technology Infrastructure
- Fiscal responsibility and prioritized planning as we invest in future infrastructure, ensuring sustainable maintenance and improvements as city grows.
- Equitable access to competitive telecommunications, including city-wide public broadband.
- “Smart city” planning for safety, efficient government and clean, efficient, sustainable energy use; forming public/private partnerships and working collaboratively with surrounding communities.
- Management, planning and fiscal responsibility with a long-term view for equitable public transportation access, private transportation needs as electrification expands, and parking issues.