Ron has deep roots in our community – he’s proudly raised a family here in the city with his wife, Jennie.
Ron has a deep commitment to service to our city – being elected and serving as Commissioner of Public Safety for two terms; and serving on the Saratoga Springs Zoning Board of Appeals as a member and as Chairperson.
Ron has a deep commitment of service to others – leading major non-profits such as the environmental advocacy organization EarthShare, and the Legal Aid Society of Northeastern NY; and working as a consumer protection and civil rights attorney.
Governing experience, leadership experience, commitment to service; Ron is a great candidate for Mayor!
Ron knows very well the issues that concern the citizens of our city, and has well-thought out plans and proposals:
- Unified Development Ordinance (UDO) – Ron opposes the adoption of the current UDO until there are sufficient public hearings in every neighborhood of the City so Saratogians have the opportunity to fully understand the impact that it will have on Saratoga Springs.
- Public Safety and First Responders – When Ron was Commissioner of Public Safety, Ron authorized special training for first responders in response to a national wave of school shootings. Ron will keep our community safe by making sure that all first responders have quality training and adequate resources.
- Civilian Review Board (CRB)- Ron fully supports the recommendations of the City Police Reform Task Force, including the CRB, and will implement these recommendations. Ron believes that a fully functional CRB will strengthen the Police Department by improving accountability and transparency.
- East Side Public Safety Station – Ron supports this crucial project.
- Land Use – Ron will adhere to the principles of the 2015 Comprehensive Plan and will protect the greenbelt while encouraging workforce development. Ron also supports development of affordable housing.
- Historic Preservation – Ron, having served on the Zoning Board of Appeals many years, understands that preserving our historic neighborhoods provides unique value to our city.
- Transportation and Infrastructure – Ron will work closely with our elected representatives in Albany and Washington to secure Saratoga Springs’ share of state and federal infrastructure funds to address traffic congestion, parking, public transit, and emergency services. In particular, Ron will:
- seek united support from the City Council and work with Governor Hochul, Congressman Tonko, and other responsible agencies to develop an alternate truck route and find solutions, as our current truck routes through the heart of the city are unsafe and disruptive. With a new and historic infrastructure and community investment initiative coming from the state and federal governments, now is the time to act and address this issue.
- encourage CDTA and local shuttles to use the new garage, with its space for buses and built-in waiting area, as a transit hub for service to Albany Airport, as well as to Saratoga Race Course, SPAC, and other destinations around our city.
- Responsive Government – Today, our city’s Building Department requires at least 14 weeks to review each permit application, causing significant regulatory backup and stifling important building projects throughout our city. As Mayor, Ron will work hard to reduce this backlog, and will convene a task force of local stakeholders to develop a comprehensive Applicant Bill of Rights, covering all city permitting processes.
To learn more about Ron’s plans for a better Saratoga Springs for all, and to donate to his candidacy, please visit his website https://ronkimformayor.com/